Subject: ISA driver name clashes (Was: Fortran And Ethernet)
To: None <niklas@appli.se>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 08/05/1995 15:08:29
Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se> wrote:
   [ I broadened the distribution of this thread, it concerns name
     clashes of ISA-drivers and native drivers for ports which can use the
     ISA ones,  -NH ]

      From: rhealey@kas.helios.mn.org (Rob Healey)
      Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 08:27:50 -0500 (CDT)

      > If you don't believe me, why do you think CGD has done this in
      > files.isa?
      >
      > # AMD am7990 (Lance) -based boards
      > # (BICC Isolan, NE2100, DEPCA)
      > # XXX conflicts with alpha if_le.c
      > #device	le at isa: ether, ifnet, isadma
      > #file	dev/isa/if_le.c			le
      >
      > I.e. just because the alpha port has an le driver, noone can use the
      > MI ISA version of the le driver without changing files.isa manually.
      > This is exactly the problem I'm seeing on the Amiga.  Apparently he
      > hasn't yet decided what to do... although the solution is clear...

	      Rename ISA drivers so they don't clobber all the other
	      port's drivers.

	      -Rob

   It's of course possible, but imagine the inertia to force the largest
   port to rename their drivers just because other ports want to use
   them.  I wonder how many people with amiga's uses if_le.c or if_ed.c,
   compared to them with i386's?  Anyway I can provide patches for both
   if_le.c and if_ed.c if it'll be the amiga-port that changes.  This is
   part of the ISA-kit for Amiga.

The right thing to do would be to have a chips specific driver, and a
machine/bus specific frontend. Thats, at least, what I plan to do for
the ARCnet driver for SMC90C65 boards on ISA.

This way, the names would even be the sames... you could even have, on
a, lets say, ISA + ZBUS Amiga, bah0 at zbus0 and bah1 at isabus0.

Regards,
	Ignatios