Subject: ISA driver name clashes (Was: Fortran And Ethernet)
To: None <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 08/05/1995 15:08:29
Niklas Hallqvist <> wrote:
   [ I broadened the distribution of this thread, it concerns name
     clashes of ISA-drivers and native drivers for ports which can use the
     ISA ones,  -NH ]

      From: (Rob Healey)
      Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 08:27:50 -0500 (CDT)

      > If you don't believe me, why do you think CGD has done this in
      > files.isa?
      > # AMD am7990 (Lance) -based boards
      > # (BICC Isolan, NE2100, DEPCA)
      > # XXX conflicts with alpha if_le.c
      > #device	le at isa: ether, ifnet, isadma
      > #file	dev/isa/if_le.c			le
      > I.e. just because the alpha port has an le driver, noone can use the
      > MI ISA version of the le driver without changing files.isa manually.
      > This is exactly the problem I'm seeing on the Amiga.  Apparently he
      > hasn't yet decided what to do... although the solution is clear...
	      Rename ISA drivers so they don't clobber all the other
	      port's drivers.

   It's of course possible, but imagine the inertia to force the largest
   port to rename their drivers just because other ports want to use
   them.  I wonder how many people with amiga's uses if_le.c or if_ed.c,
   compared to them with i386's?  Anyway I can provide patches for both
   if_le.c and if_ed.c if it'll be the amiga-port that changes.  This is
   part of the ISA-kit for Amiga.

The right thing to do would be to have a chips specific driver, and a
machine/bus specific frontend. Thats, at least, what I plan to do for
the ARCnet driver for SMC90C65 boards on ISA.

This way, the names would even be the sames... you could even have, on
a, lets say, ISA + ZBUS Amiga, bah0 at zbus0 and bah1 at isabus0.