Subject: ISA driver name clashes (Was: Fortran And Ethernet)
To: None <rhealey@kas.helios.mn.org>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 08/04/1995 15:38:46
[ I broadened the distribution of this thread, it concerns name
  clashes of ISA-drivers and native drivers for ports which can use the
  ISA ones,  -NH ]

   From: rhealey@kas.helios.mn.org (Rob Healey)
   Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 08:27:50 -0500 (CDT)

   > If you don't believe me, why do you think CGD has done this in
   > files.isa?
   >
   > # AMD am7990 (Lance) -based boards
   > # (BICC Isolan, NE2100, DEPCA)
   > # XXX conflicts with alpha if_le.c
   > #device	le at isa: ether, ifnet, isadma
   > #file	dev/isa/if_le.c			le
   >
   > I.e. just because the alpha port has an le driver, noone can use the
   > MI ISA version of the le driver without changing files.isa manually.
   > This is exactly the problem I'm seeing on the Amiga.  Apparently he
   > hasn't yet decided what to do... although the solution is clear...

	   Rename ISA drivers so they don't clobber all the other
	   port's drivers.

	   -Rob

It's of course possible, but imagine the inertia to force the largest
port to rename their drivers just because other ports want to use
them.  I wonder how many people with amiga's uses if_le.c or if_ed.c,
compared to them with i386's?  Anyway I can provide patches for both
if_le.c and if_ed.c if it'll be the amiga-port that changes.  This is
part of the ISA-kit for Amiga.

Niklas

Niklas Hallqvist	Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00
Applitron Datasystem	Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50
Molndalsvagen 95	Email: niklas@appli.se
S-412 63  GOTEBORG	WWW:   Here
Sweden