Subject: ISA driver name clashes (Was: Fortran And Ethernet)
To: None <>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 08/04/1995 15:38:46
[ I broadened the distribution of this thread, it concerns name
  clashes of ISA-drivers and native drivers for ports which can use the
  ISA ones,  -NH ]

   From: (Rob Healey)
   Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 08:27:50 -0500 (CDT)

   > If you don't believe me, why do you think CGD has done this in
   > files.isa?
   > # AMD am7990 (Lance) -based boards
   > # (BICC Isolan, NE2100, DEPCA)
   > # XXX conflicts with alpha if_le.c
   > #device	le at isa: ether, ifnet, isadma
   > #file	dev/isa/if_le.c			le
   > I.e. just because the alpha port has an le driver, noone can use the
   > MI ISA version of the le driver without changing files.isa manually.
   > This is exactly the problem I'm seeing on the Amiga.  Apparently he
   > hasn't yet decided what to do... although the solution is clear...
	   Rename ISA drivers so they don't clobber all the other
	   port's drivers.

It's of course possible, but imagine the inertia to force the largest
port to rename their drivers just because other ports want to use
them.  I wonder how many people with amiga's uses if_le.c or if_ed.c,
compared to them with i386's?  Anyway I can provide patches for both
if_le.c and if_ed.c if it'll be the amiga-port that changes.  This is
part of the ISA-kit for Amiga.

Niklas Hallqvist	Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00
Applitron Datasystem	Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50
Molndalsvagen 95	Email:
S-412 63  GOTEBORG	WWW:   Here