Subject: Re: floppy device
To: None <amiga-dev@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ethan Dicks <erd@kumiss.infinet.com (Ethan Dicks)>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 05/27/1995 07:52:11
Olaf (Olaf Seibert); in <199505251909.VAA16220@septimius.mbfys.kun.nl> on May 25 writes:

> Ah! Finally someone who whill take the messydisk.device code
> and write something similar for NetBSD! I can mail you the
> sources if you just wait for me to upload them...

Since people are going to be delving into this stuff... *Years* ago, when messydisk
was young, I posted a feature request (which I couldn't do myself because I have
SAS/C, not Aztec/Manx C) that one low-level format be added: 10 sector RX50 format.
PeeCee users can read and write PDP-8 and PDP-11 diskettes, but we can't :-(  I
managed to track down the info on headers and intersector gaps, etc., only to find
there are some *minor* differences between RX-50 and IBM MFM disk layout.  Olaf
included my original posting with the messydos distribution, but I've never heard
back from anyone that they read it and were trying to implement it.

It would be wonderful if RX-50 support managed to make it into any new MFM disk
schemes.  I would be happy to test it (since most of you probably don't have 5.25"
disks on your machines :-)

Thanks 10+E6

-ethan