Subject: Re: floppy device
To: None <amiga-dev@NetBSD.ORG, henson@colossus.mathcs.rhodes.edu>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 05/25/1995 21:09:53
Mike Henson wrote:
>  What is the latest word on the floppy devices? I've been looking
> at the /sys/arch/amig/dev/fd.c v1.17 source file, and have been
> trying to make sense of the MFM en/decoding. I want to work on
> the floppy device to make it read MSDOS formatted disks and to
> get high-density disks working, but I don't have low-level
> information on either the high-density drives or the MSDOS
> sector layout/MFM encoding scheme.

Ah! Finally someone who whill take the messydisk.device code
and write something similar for NetBSD! I can mail you the
sources if you just wait for me to upload them...

There is not much low-level info on hd drives: they just identify
themselves differently if a hd floppy is inserted, and then you need
to send them twice as much bits to write. That's all.

-Olaf.
--
HAVE *YOU* EXPORTED A CRYPTO SYSTEM TODAY? --> http://dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/x.html