Subject: Re: Hmm, what's the meaning of manufacturer's id?
To: Kortelainen Mika <k125374@cs.tut.fi>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/30/1995 15:58:55
On Mar 30, 11:56pm, Kortelainen Mika wrote:
> sorry for that not-too-informative title, but anyway... I have an
> Ethernet card made by Resource Management Force and their manufacturer
> id is supposedly 2011, at least that's what showconfig (ADOS) and
> also NetBSD at boot time tells.  However, when looking at ztwobus.c
> and the array  aconftab[]  (line 54, NetBSD1.0 sources), there is
> an entry for Hacker Inc and it has also man id of 2011 (i.e. the same
> as RMF has).
>
> Actually, this doesn't matter too much because the product id of
> QuickNet card happens to be 2 and that of mlhsc is 1, but it would be nice
> if people wouldn't double-use these numbers...  Or is Hacker Inc
> the real owner of 2011?

  Manufacturer 2011 is a special "hacker" Manufacturer ID number reserved
for test use.  The manufacturer/product 2011/1 is what the example for
a Zorro II expansion board used, and the PALs used in my SCSI board are
just a copy of that example.  I don't think the 2011 number should ever
have been used for a commerical board - the hardware manufacturer was
supposed to obtain their own number.  [Where would one obtain a
manufacture number now?]

  Since the product id's are different, and the mlhsc driver checks that
as well, it shouldn't cause any problem.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu
Computer Consultant