Subject: Re: 060 Support (request for comments)
To: None <amiga-dev@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/16/1995 12:33:54
> 1) The state of locore.s and amiga_init.c is somewhat messy. I'm not calling
>    it bad or anything, just messy. I would like to make a real clean-up of
>    those two files, perhaps splitting them into 020, 030, 040, 060, 881, 851
>    specific files. This will allow clearer code and, in the case of the
>    assembler files, cpu specific commands to be written as mnemonics rather
>    than .word statements.

This will be difficult - there are parts that are applicable to more than
one CPU.  e.g. the 851 and 030 MMUs are sufficiently similar that there
is common code.

Also, how do you propose to allow commands to be written as mnemonics?
If gas doesn't support the '060 instructions (if there are any) then they
won't assemble, period.

> 4) What is the state of gas/gcc/g++? Does it support the 060 at all or do I
>    have to add 060 support there too?

The user-level code should be compatible with older chips.  '040 code should
run.  GCC may want to implement instruction scheduling (useful on '060)
and not use the new addressing modes that were introduced starting with the
'020 (now trapped and emulated in software, so doing it using pre-020 is
faster), but it should work fine unoptimized.

--
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
           email: dej@eecg.toronto.edu, finger for PGP public key