Subject: Re: Why does 4k/512/2k/5% filesystem hang -current?
To: Rob Healey <rhealey@kas.helios.mn.org>
From: Christian E. Hopps <chopps@water.emich.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 02/21/1995 03:23:59
> 	Feb. 15th sup. newfs -b 4096 -f 512 -i 2048 -m 5 /dev/rsd0g

Don't do this.

Patient: Doc my arm hurts when I do this:
Doctor: don't do that.

Actually the problem stems from the 44 lite fs clustering code.  It
makes certain bad assumptions about page sizes.  The amiga uses a
8k page and your using a 4k page the fs is broken and doesn't handle
this.  I discovered this way back when working on the floppy driver.
I believe there is actually a comment about it in fd.c but maybe not
anyway you can't disklabel a floppy with those args.

You can however use e.g. 16k fs blocks.

I haven't looked into it but we may want to add checks into the
scsi devices similar to the amiga floppy (i.e. disallow block sizes
that are not a multiple of the page size)  Or we could fix the fs code.
I tend to think the former will happen before the latter though.

Chris.