Subject: -current & gcc : a summary
To: None <amiga-dev@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Marc Duponcheel <mduponch@cisco.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 02/20/1995 10:37:57
Hello Amiga NetBSD Developers

Having (re)started the discussion about using recent gcc versions to
compile -current NetBSD sources I think I should finish with a
summary:

0) Thanks for everybody who helped. You *can* build a -current system
straightforward with the distributed tools tools.

1) I tried several (2 a 3) times to buid
 - kernel
 - as ld
 - lib
 - bin, sbin, usr.bin, usr.sbin, libexec
 - ...

with the 2.6.2 compiler and 'only' got 2 problems

 a) vfprintf.c does not work correctly in libc.so.
    i.e. printf("%d\n", 12345); prints 1 (the first number)
 b) ld.so makes almost every program crash

2) I went back to a clean NetBSD 1.0 and started all over again
with the 2.4.5 compiler.

This time *everything* worked (as predicted by you).

3) Still I was curiuos as to exactly know what made 1a) and 1b) fail.
So I built 2.6.3 (I thought, maybe 2.6.2 is bad?) and started all over
again.

I came to *exactly* the same conclusion as the one who triggered my
original posters:

- you can build a kernel with 2.6.x
- you can build libraries and binaries with 2.6.x
- there are 2 problems (maybe more)
  - vfprintf.c
  - ld.so

*if* somebody has time I would like him to

- make and test a ld.so compiled with 2.6.x
  I would be surprised if it works
- make and test a libc.so compiled with 2.6.x
  I would be surprised if it works

Conclusion: You *can* build a -current system straightforward with the
distributed tools tools. You can (almost) do the same with gcc 2.6.x

As a final remark I often (you bet) wondered *what* could be the
difference. Sometimes I think it has more to do with cpp than with cc1
but I am not sure at all.

Thanks.