Subject: Re: upgrade from Beta-1.0, to -current
To: None <woodwrk!rhw@life.ai.mit.edu>
From: None <mw@eunet.ch>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 02/16/1995 09:57:48
> > Or -much simpler- just remove the MEMCPY (don't recall its exact name,
> > it's commented anyway) define from config/netbsd.h. Over all, this is
> > Net*BSD*, so I don't see why we should default to mem*() anyway:-)
> >
> 	Wouldn't one reason be to follow the standard.  The last I looked
> 	bcopy wasn't in the standard;  memcpy was.  Is there a compelling
> 	reason (other than historical/preferrential ones) that makes
> 	bcopy a better choice?

We're talking about implicit calls to a copy function here, not about
writing your own code (ie. copying a structure might invoke this function).
We have both functions in the c-library, so it's no issue there. For the
kernel: yes, it's both historical and preferrential (for me at least :-)),
and there's no reason to change.

> 	But does this imply NetBSD won't support memcpy at all?

Sure does, it's in libc.

-Markus
--
EUnet Switzerland   Tel:     +41 1 291 45 80	Markus Wild
Zweierstrasse 35    Hotline: +41 1 291 45 60	mw@eunet.ch