Subject: New grf_cl.c avail
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG, amiga-dev@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 01/31/1995 02:06:13
 I recently uploaded a new versin of the device driver
for the cirrus based graphic boards.

 This version should fix both, the white-screen and the black-screen
bug. I need beta-testers !

 The black-screen means that the card is either not initialized at al
or the colors are just simply black. As the bug only appeards on
A2000 equipped with 040, i discused this matter with Crest (Hardware
designer of the Picasso) and found out that the three Palette-registers
might be addressed wrong due to the implementation of the Zorro-2-to-
ISA Interface. Some 040 boards fail to implement proper handling of
Little/Big-Edian swaps, and only the three palette registers seem
not to be mirrored from little endian to big endian. So i thought
that adding a 0xffff might be worth a try. For me the card still works ok,
and for thse 040 users?

 The white-screen bug was and may stillbe caused by too-fast
initialisation of the hidden-DAC. Crest found out that I forgot a
second place in the initialisation where these loops may be necessary.
A future version probably will only contain inline-assmbler at the place
of the now inserted busy_loops: 8 NOPs are sufficient :-)

 For all who are testing grf_cl: please write me a report!

 grf_cl is for 1.0 only and needs some changements for -current, already
done by Bernd Ernesti. I nw believe that it is no really worth the efort
to split up the code into two parts, as -.current has a new
way to initializee the zoro-bus.

--
Markus Illenseer