Subject: Bad news
To: None <amiga-dev@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 01/16/1995 10:51:01
For those of you that expect to get NetBSD work from me, be prepared
to wait somewhat.  I have seriously messed up my system, and as a
hacker I'm not particularily fond of backups :-)

Really, If someone got any good ideas on how to handle my situation,
please mail me.  I have some ideas of my own, but a broader
perspective can but help.  What did I do then?

I discovered on my two (main) harddisks that the cyl/head/sec info was
wrong in the RDB.  I did take note of the old head & sec values but
not the number of cylinders.  When I changed these parameters, the
partitions weren't recognized anymore.  I could understand that fact
as partitions start/end on cylinder boundaries which might not
coincide when the sector count change.  But when reverting the
head/sec values I discovered this wasn't enough.  The PPS HDToolBox
variant had also resized my partitions, seemingly to keep the relative
sizes equal.  That is, suppose I had two partitions of a 100 cylinders
each on a 200 cylinder disk, and that I changed the cylinder count to
300.  The program now recalculated the partitions to be 150 cylinders
each instead of keeping the old info and just letting the extra new
cylinders be a hole in the partition map.  Anyway, I don't know the
original (false) cylinder counts on my disks so I cannot get the
partitioning to match reality.  I have a mountlist with this info, but
it's on one messed-up partition, Catch 22!

I have both ADOS FFS and BSD UFS partitions to fix.  What I had in
mind is to search for the Root/Super blocks of these partitions and
try to figure out the partition size out of them.  Any better ideas?

Niklas (who wish he had at least taken a backup of the RDB structure,
are there a tool for such things?)

PS.	I don't even mind pity and moral support, send me your best
	wishes :-)