Subject: Re: NetBSD 0.9 binary compatibility in 1.0?
To: None <amiga-dev@netbsd.org>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 12/19/1994 19:23:36
In article <9412191155.AA04968@zirkon.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>,
Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> wrote:
>  Imagine partitions or filesystems larger than 4GB... We need 64-Bit
> support in the kernel (well, probably not on Amiga).

Since off_t is signed, you need only imagine a 2G partiton (which is
easy for me, since I've has one for many months now). >2GB filesystems
are here *now*, even on "little" machines like the amiga, and even on
personal amigas. Sticking wiith 32 bit off_ts is incredibly shortsighted,
IMHO. At least when Microsoft said nobody would ever need more than
640K, nobody needed more than 640K at the time.

--
Ty Sarna                 "You know, we live in the age of the superhighway
tsarna@endicor.com        information network thing..." -- Dave Letterman