Subject: Re: NetBSD 0.9 binary compatibility in 1.0?
To: None <>
From: Ty Sarna <>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 12/19/1994 19:23:36
In article <>,
Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> wrote:
>  Imagine partitions or filesystems larger than 4GB... We need 64-Bit
> support in the kernel (well, probably not on Amiga).

Since off_t is signed, you need only imagine a 2G partiton (which is
easy for me, since I've has one for many months now). >2GB filesystems
are here *now*, even on "little" machines like the amiga, and even on
personal amigas. Sticking wiith 32 bit off_ts is incredibly shortsighted,
IMHO. At least when Microsoft said nobody would ever need more than
640K, nobody needed more than 640K at the time.

Ty Sarna                 "You know, we live in the age of the superhighway        information network thing..." -- Dave Letterman