Subject: Re: NetBSD inconsistencies and odditites
To: None <>
From: Ty Sarna <>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 08/21/1994 19:17:26
In article <> "L. Todd Masco" <> writes:
> - MAP_FILE is referenced in the man page for mmap(2), but is not defined
>  anywhere (certainly not in the headers referred to by the man page).
>  The man page says an EINVAL will be delivered if this parameter
>  is not set, but luckily that doesn't seem to be the case.  The man
>  page for mmap is the only place I've ever seen this parameter
>  specified.

It was removed (except from the man page) and made the default if no
other value is specified, but has since been added back for backwards
compatibility (#defined to 0). It was added back some time ago, so it
sounds like you're running an old system.

> - F_SETLK, etc, (the record-locking features of fcntl(2)) appear in
>  the header <fcntl.h> but not in the man page.  Is record-locking
>  supported or not?   According to Stevens[1], everything after the initial
>  release of BSD4.3  (Reno and later) is supposed to support this.

If you check the source, it's implemented. It's just not documented in
the man page.

Ty Sarna                   "You can lead a gift horse to water but          you can't make him look you in the mouth"