Subject: None
To: None <newsham@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 08/15/1994 20:58:48

Tim> I found out what my PPP problems where.  It appears the serial
Tim> line cant keep up with large packets at 14.4 on my computer.  I
Tim> noticed this while downloading files with rz.  I would get errors
Tim> very periodically.  I lowered the speed to 9.6 and everything
Tim> worked ok.  In ppp I tried ping -s <size> pearl where pearl is my
Tim> gateway.  The biggest packet that I could get through is 890
Tim> bytes (counting the IP/ICMP header).  After 890 bytes all packets
Tim> are dropped.  When I set the MRU to 890 everything works fine but
Tim> slow.  I am using hardware flow-control btw...

You think you're using hw flowcontrol, I'd say.  The only thing that works
are outgoing flocontrol i.e. CTS, RTS is *never* dealt with.  We discover
it due to slow processors and the ridiculously cheap designed UART Amiga
is equipped with.  Other archs have the problem as well but 16550's *do*
make a difference.

Tim> Someone else mentioned problems with the serial line but I dont
Tim> remember the exact details.  Is anyong currently going through
Tim> the serial code?

I'll mail some patches to the list later this evening.

Niklas