Subject: Re: sd7-9.. end of thread.
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 08/04/1994 22:01:56
In article <9408042336.ZM17416@rrzc1> "Hubert Feyrer" <c9020@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de> writes:
> On Aug 4,  6:19pm, Ty Sarna wrote:
> > EVERYONE should be compiling their own kernel.  The generic kernel is
>
> No, this is simply not possible! People often install a basic system which is
> enough for compiling and running X, but do not have the disk-space or the
> knowledge to compile their own kernel.

It doesn't take much knowledge at all to configure and compile a kernel
(if you can't figure it out, you're probably not going to be able to
figure out many other vital system file formats anyway).  It doesn't
take much space either.  I figured it out, and it's less than 12M,
including kernel sources, objects, and the final linked kernel.  You can
probably even trim it down some from that if you leave out sources for
things you won't use.  If after installing the netbsd binaries and
generic kernel you can't find 12M of free space, at least temporarily, I
would question wether you have enough space to do anything useful with
NetBSD anyway.

I have an especially hard time beleiving that people who are constantly
shuffling SCSI devices around can't find the disk space or figure out
how to build their own kernel.

--
Ty Sarna	     		"If at first you don't succeed...
tsarna@endicor.com    		 ...don't try skydiving!!!