Subject: Re: forwarded message from Jukka Forsgren
To: Eduardo E. Horvath <amiga@sun-lamp.cs.berekeley.edu>
From: Andrew Cherry <cherry@crunk.planet.net>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 08/02/1994 15:37:48
"Eduardo E. Horvath  eeh@btr.com" writes:

 > > > I'am also having problems with those lockups. I have an A3000/25, 120MB &
 > > > 105MB Quantum and 6MB of memory..
 > >
 > > My SCSI locks up so often I can't build a new kernel to even try to
 > > stop it.  (I'm about halfway through a build now, after 6 or 7 reboots
 > > and a few filesystem repairs.)  I might be the "one other report" that
 > > Andrew mentioned -- thanks, but your kernel didn't help me any.
 > > A3000/25; Quantum LPS52, Empire 540.  HP DAT connected, but not
 > > always powered on.  This is with any kernel from mid-June to 21 Jul.
 > > I'm about to completely reinstall the system based on the
 > > -release now at sun-lamp.
 >
 > You might try applying the patch I posted yesterday to amiga-dev.  It
 > won't hurt, and there is some slight possibility that it might help.  If
 > you apply it and do notice some shange in behavior, please let me know.

For the record, I have tried this, and I still get lockups.
No changes.  Sorry. :)

My machine does not seem to lock up as often as David Champion's, but then
again, I might have more memory (12MB) and thus might end up swapping
less.  The lockups occur during fairly heavy disk activity, such as
when emacs autosaves a large file, or when the system starts to swap
a lot (this happens with you run X11, emacs, etc.. :) ).  Worse yet,
my attempts to force this behavior to happen have failed (I hoped
that some useful messages might be printed to the console just before
the system locks up, but it always seems to happen when I don't have
my xconsole window up.  Murphy strikes again.)

Again, my setup is:

A2000
GVP G-Force 68040/SCSI, with 12MB 32-bit RAM
Seagate ST31200N SCSI-2 drive (1 gig)
Quantum PD015S SCSI-1 drive (100 meg)
GVP I/O Extender
A2024 monitor (though I doubt this is relevant :) )

I am using a kernel compiled from current sources, but I have tried kernels
back to the July 9th binary dist.  I have tried both with sync
enabled and disabled; the same behavior occurs for both.

-Andrew Cherry
(cherry@planet.net)