Subject: Re: Son of unexpected trap
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Andrew Cherry <cherry@mcs.anl.gov>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 07/21/1994 23:23:45
Andrew Cherry writes:
 > Recently, I sent a message to amiga-dev about getting an unexpected
 > trap while trying to boot a recent kernel (from sources sup'ed on
 > Monday).  I put a call to panic() in straytrap() in order to enter the
 > debugger (L-Amiga Alt F10 wouldn't work), so now I can provide more
 > information.  Here is the trace:
 >
 > unexpected trap (vector offset 2) from 8000
 > panic: foo
 > Stopped at	_Debugger + 0x6: unlk a6
 > db> trace
 > _Debugger(1fdb8,a39ab,fffffeb8,0,fffffec4) + 6
 > _panic(a39a6,a397a,2,80000,fffffeb8,0,fffffef4) + 34
 > _straytrap(80000,2) + 28
 > _badtrap(?)
 > _edintr(0) + e
 > _intrhand(2200) + da
 > _lev4intr(?)
 > _setroot(ffffff6c,a2e38,0,0,aec85) + 1a
 > _configure(0,0,aec85,8,0) + 4c
 > _cpu_startup(af460,0,0,aec85,8) + 4dc
 > _main(ffffffb0) + 38
 >
 > Hopefully there are no typos up there. :)  Anyway, it's enough to tell you
 > something bad is happening when it tries to mount root.
 >
 > Again, my set up is A2000, GVP G-Force 040 with 12MB RAM.  The only other
 > card is the IOExtender.  Also, a kernel compiled from 7/13/94 sources
 > (possibly 7/12) boots fine.

After further investigation, I have found how to avoid this.  Removing

"ed0		at ztwobus0		# dp8390 ethernet"

from the GENERIC config file fixed the problem (yes, it was a pain
to find this out).  My kernel now boots properly.  I don't own
a dp8390 ethernet card, so I have no idea why this is happening!
Is this a recent addition to the kernel, or has it been changed
recently?

The removal of that line was the only change from vanilla GENERIC
needed to get the kernel working on my machine.

-Andrew Cherry
(cherry@mcs.anl.gov)