Subject: grr rootfs and virgin startup
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: William J Coldwell <billc@icecube.cryogenic.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 07/02/1994 13:28:02
heh heh hmm heh he said "virgin". heh heh hmm heh.
Yeh, yeh, that was cool.

Ok, so I started completely over..  got my partitions setup correctly (18M
root, 131M swap, 500M usr.

Amiga 4000 (m68040 CPU/MMU/FPU)
real mem = 20971520 (2560 pages)
avail mem = 18276352 (2231 pages)
using 140 buffers containing 1146880 bytes of memory
memory segment 0 at 08000000 size 01400000
memory segment 1 at 0a000000 size 00400000
memory segment 2 at 07e00000 size 00200000
memory segment 3 at 00000000 size 00200000

* Why didn't the memory segments get merged (or at least that code merged
into the kernel source tree yet)?  If the person who did that code hasn't
submitted the diffs to Chris, would you please do it?

* If a 2065 is in the system, initialized, then netbsd-a3000 is booted, it'll
hang when interrupts are enabled.  Maybe le0 support should be part of the
a3000 kernel by default (just a suggestion after fighting with this problem
on the warp kernel with no le0 support).

* The rootfs being distributed now is much smarter.  In fact, it has
completely outsmarted me (which I realize isn't that great big of a feat).
Basically, I dcp'ed it on to my root, boot up netbsd, get to the prompt
asking me to enter the shell, and all is well... except..
mount -a yields
"fstab: /etc/fstabInappropriate file type or format"

Granted, my sd0a is a device 0, not 6, so I can understand why it says

"/dev/sd6a on /: Specified device does not match mounted device."  So when I
used BFFS on the Amiga side to edit the fstab to change sd6a and sd6d to sd0a
and sd0d (respectively), I still got the above error.  So screw it, I tried
a df:
root_device  19646 15164 3498 81% /

root_device?  What?  Grrr.

Fine.  Be that way.  A mount -u doesn't work either.  Nothing does.

So, would some kind soul DMS up a boot floppy that will let be newfs my root,
and tar -xf from my tape the real bin.tar, so I can get up and running again?
Or tell me what I'm doing wrong.  I can't even mount my /dev/sd0d because /
is still write protected.

Help! ;-)

--
 William J. Coldwell - billc@iceCuBE.cryogenic.com - Cryogenic Software