Subject: Re: bin-dist/snapshot problems and ideas
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 06/27/1994 04:46:29
In article <9406261923.AA00549@aidec512.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de> markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE (Markus Illenseer) writes:
> On Jun 26, 10:00am, Michael L. Hitch wrote:
> >   It wouldn't work anyway - the floppy driver doesn't understand MS-DOG
> > sector format, only Amiga format.
>
>  You sure? I think i successfully formatted the drive with ufs, or does
> newfs automagically uses ADOSFS on floppies?

You're talking about filesystem formet. Michael is talking about the raw
sector format for bits on the disk. Currently the fd driver only
understands the Amiga 880K(1.17M HD) format, as far as I know, and not
the 720K(1.4M HD) sector format that most other computers use. What
filesytem you run on top of that is another matter. You can use MSDOSFS
on an amiga sector format floppy, but only an Amiga could read it, so it
would be pretty useless for exchanging floppies (which is really all
MSDOSFS is good for... who would want 8.3 character filenames otherwise?).

--
Ty Sarna	     "Let's face it: without Commies, James Bond is just
tsarna@endicor.com    another horny guy with a compass watch" -- Bill Maher