Subject: Re: Cannot map ld.so - New rootfs?
To: Chris Hooper <hooper@gdls.com>
From: None <rhealey@aggregate.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 06/17/1994 17:09:15
> You (Rob Healy) wrote as a response to Alan Bair:
> > 	newfs /dev/rfd0a
> >	tunefs -m 1 /dev/rfd0a
>
> I'd recommend one uses something like:  newfs -m 0 -c 80 -i 8192 /dev/rfd0a
> This seems to give the maximum amount of free space if you don't have
> hundreds of files on the floppy.  There are a few assumptions, though...
> This is not a disk where most files are read/written/deleted/rewritten
> often.  That will cause fragmentation.  Don't try this stuff on your
> hard disk partitions!  :)
>
> -m 0 specifies reserve 0% for optimization overhead
> -c 80 specifies use 80 cylinders per cylinder group.  This means
>    there will be one cylinder group on the disk (reducing summary info)
> -i 8192 specifies one inode per 8k of data.  This reduces the number of
>    inodes available, but increases storage, 128 bytes per inode.

	DANGER! WILL ROBINSON, DANGER! 128 inodes isn't enough to store
	the ever important /dev/* device nodes! Init hangs silently if
	/dev isn't on the floppys... You need over 256 inodes I think.

	I created the /dev directorys on the floppys by cp'ing /dev/MAKEDEV
	from the dist tree to the floppy /dev, changed to the floppy /dev
	and did a ./MAKEDEV all.

	I know you shouldn't need ALL the devices but, what the hell eh? You
	never know what kind of machine you'll need to boot on and what
	sort of disk, tape and console driver you'll need.

		-Rob