Subject: Re: Cannot map ld.so - New rootfs?
To: Alan Bair <abair@amcu-tx.sps.mot.com>
From: None <rhealey@aggregate.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 06/17/1994 13:16:10
> I built the current rootfs 720 and was going to build a new one, but ran into
> problems with changing files and trying to use BFFS. So I decided to give
> up for awhile until things settled down.
>
> I'm willing to build a new rootfs (filesytem image ~10MB), if someone will
> tell me what binary and kernel files to use. At this point I have lost track
> of what will work with what. This rootfs may be a little rough, but I expect
> it will at least let you boot single user. The next step would be to look more
> into using BFFS, tar files and some scripts.

	Additionally, it is now possible to boot and install via floppy, I
	did it 2 weeks ago with 3 floppys and 1/4" tape. Basically, 1
	floppy is ADOS with loadbsd and a recent kernel that you use
	to boot:

	Create the NetBSD partitions with hdtool under ADOS. dostypes should
	  be NBR\7 for root, NBS\1 for paging and NBU\7 for all others.
	df0:
	loadbsd netbsd.06xx -b
	At the prompt for boot device put in a floppy with newfs and the
	basic minimum of sh, init, fsck, newfs, mount, umount. sh is
	a special floppy version you'll find in netbsd/src/sys/arch/i386/floppy.
	Then type in fd for boot device and press return.

	This will give you a minimal NetBSD needed to newfs the BSD partitions.

	Reboot to ADOS

	Place the ADOS floppy with loadbsd back in the floppy.
	df0:
	loadbsd netbsd.06xx -b
	At the prompt for boot device put in a floppy with tar, sh, init,
	mount and umount on it. Then type in fd for boot device and press
	return.

	Now mount the partitions made with the previous floppy and restore
	from tape using tar. Tar has to be linked STATIC so remember to
	create a static version from the source.

	The details are left as an exercise to the hacker. sh and tar are
	special versions. How you get the 2 BSD floppys to the end user
	is also and interesting challenge. The floppys are made with
	newfs /dev/rfd0a
	tunefs -m 1 /dev/rfd0a

	This is an alternative to using BFFS and tar under ADOS.

		-Rob