Subject: Re: Floppy hang on boot; workaround
To: None <rhealey@aggregate.com>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 06/07/1994 08:36:29
On Mon, 6 Jun 1994 rhealey@aggregate.com wrote:

> 	For those with floppy drives that are experiencing a hang on
> 	boot of a recent -current kernel try the following:

> 	It appears that if ADOS initializes the disk beforehand the
> 	floppy init code in NetBSD won't hang. If I don't put the
> 	disk in before hand I get a hard hang between the
> 	first call to fdsetpos() and the second. The kernel debugger
> 	can't be entered from the keyboard sequence so it's a pretty
> 	hard lockup. I have to use the three fingee salute to bail out

The june 6 kernel has a little bug in the floppy code.  When the driver
initializes, the current cylinder value is set to -1.  When fdsetpos() is
called to seek cylinder 0, the direction is positive (dest (0) - curr
(-1)) so the driver keeps seeking forever.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
					..!{decwrl,mips,fernwood}!btr!eeh
	"Trust me, I am cognizant of what I am doing." - Hammeroid