Subject: Re: New kernel options, etc.
To: None <>
From: Ty Sarna <>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 06/06/1994 03:06:22
In article <> Olaf Seibert <> writes:
> David Jones <> wrote:
> > Use the RDB to create a "bsd" partition.  Within that partition, lay down
> > a standard BSD disk label, and use the BSD label to create subpartitions
> > of the BSD partition.  The disk code will know about both RDB and BSD labels.
> > So, compatibility with Sun disks, etc.

What would the advantage be? Compatibility with Sun labels wouldn't
really be made easier, and it's much less flexible as Olaf says:

> As long as it is possible to have multiple of these bsd partitions
> per disk. I would find it unnecessarily limiting to have all my bsd
> file systems next to each other.

Also, it would be harder to mount BSD partitions from AmigaOS then.
The Amiga has a nice partitioning schmeme, I think we should keep using it.
If we want to add support for Sun disklabels, we can do it without
changing that.

Ty Sarna	     "It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a    reputation for subtlety" -- Salvor Hardin