Subject: Re: New kernel options, etc.
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 06/06/1994 03:06:22
In article <9406052248.AA17155@augustus.mbfys.kun.nl> Olaf Seibert <rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl> writes:
> David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu> wrote:
> > Use the RDB to create a "bsd" partition.  Within that partition, lay down
> > a standard BSD disk label, and use the BSD label to create subpartitions
> > of the BSD partition.  The disk code will know about both RDB and BSD labels.
> > So, compatibility with Sun disks, etc.

What would the advantage be? Compatibility with Sun labels wouldn't
really be made easier, and it's much less flexible as Olaf says:

> As long as it is possible to have multiple of these bsd partitions
> per disk. I would find it unnecessarily limiting to have all my bsd
> file systems next to each other.

Also, it would be harder to mount BSD partitions from AmigaOS then.
The Amiga has a nice partitioning schmeme, I think we should keep using it.
If we want to add support for Sun disklabels, we can do it without
changing that.

--
Ty Sarna	     "It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a
tsarna@endicor.com    reputation for subtlety" -- Salvor Hardin