Subject: Re: Booting new kernels -- problems
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 06/04/1994 22:22:53
On Jun  4, 11:56pm, "Stephen J. Roznowski" wrote:
> > From: osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu (Michael L. Hitch)
> > On Jun  4,  8:24pm, "Stephen J. Roznowski" wrote:
> > > I've tried to boot a GENERIC kernel that was built with 940601
> > > supped sources, but I get a "missing root" error. What am I
> > > missing (before I start digging through the source code :-)?
> >
> >   I'm running a kernel from sources supped today and it boots with
> > no problem.  I just searched the kernel and don't see any message
> > about "missing root", so I don't know where that would be coming
> > from.  I even searched the entire source tree and don't see that
> > message.  Perhaps you are getting the "no suitable root" message?
>
> That's the message, I was too lazy to look it up. :-)

  That indicates that no 'a' partition was found on any disks.  This
can happen if the scsi controller driver(s) don't find any disks,
or if there is a problem reading the disk such that the RDB blocks
aren't found.

  Do the config messages print out the identification of your disks?
(I.e. something like:  ahsc0 targ 6 lun 0 <....> SCSI1 direct fixed
followed by: sd6 at scsibus0: xxxMB, xxx cyl, xxx head, xx sec.)

  Also, does the startup message indicate an Amiga 3000?  If loadbsd
or the kernel doesn't detect the A3000, it won't configure the A3000
SCSI.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu