Subject: Re: changes
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 06/03/1994 22:28:39
> >   Then there's also the possibility of a floppy file system that can be
> > used to boot with.  I've created two floppy file systems - one with newfs

>  A kernel, or even a small kernel, a statically linked tar on one floppy,
> and a number of floppies.
>
>  I was experimenting with something like this before, using tftp to boot
> over a net, but by loading the kernel from a floppy :-).

Can we get a rootfs appropriate for the latest kernel, in tar form?

I believe that GNU tar supports multi-volume archives, appropriate for
floppies.  Also, it would be nice if I could boot directly from the root
installed on a floptical.  Other people may have spare drive partitions
that they can put a root on.

I'm a bit reluctant to upgrade my kernel right now.  I'm seriously considering
backing up my personal stuff, wiping NetBSD off my disk completely, and
installing from scratch once the new SCSI format has come and other things
are stable.

--
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
        The Toronto Free-Net... paving the information superhighway.