Subject: Re: changes
To: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Charles Ewen MacMillan <ilixi@xochi.tezcat.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 06/03/1994 20:05:01
On Fri, 3 Jun 1994, Michael L. Hitch wrote:

> Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 14:26:01 -0600
> From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
> To: amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
> Subject: Re: changes *read*
>
>   Then there's also the possibility of a floppy file system that can be
> used to boot with.  I've created two floppy file systems - one with newfs
> and fsck, and the other with tar and gzip.  I was able to boot using the
> first floppy and ran newfs on the hard disk root partition, then booted
> with the second floppy and used tar to transfer the rootfs from a temp
> partition to the real root.  It would also be possible to have the rootfs
> tar on floppies.

 This is an excellent idea I think.

 A kernel, or even a small kernel, a statically linked tar on one floppy,
and a number of floppies.

 I was experimenting with something like this before, using tftp to boot
over a net, but by loading the kernel from a floppy :-).

Charles Ewen MacMillan  | Tezcat.COM - The Good Guys
  <ilixi@tezcat.com>    | Offering Internet Access
Modem: 312-850-0112/0117| Via Interactive UNIX to
Voice: 312-850-0181     |    the Chicago Area.