Subject: Re: changes *read*
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 06/03/1994 14:26:01
On Jun  3,  9:11pm, Markus Illenseer wrote:
> On Jun 3,  1:21pm, "hamish (h.i.) macdonald" wrote:
> > Subject: Re: changes *read*
> >
> > donn> Sorry to bring up an old tired subject, but have we been able to
> > donn> come up with something better than rootfs?
> >
> > Something like the Linux/68k ramdisk image?
>
>  Something like a plain tar-file with new gtar/mknod-support and BFFS? :-)

  Then there's also the possibility of a floppy file system that can be
used to boot with.  I've created two floppy file systems - one with newfs
and fsck, and the other with tar and gzip.  I was able to boot using the
first floppy and ran newfs on the hard disk root partition, then booted
with the second floppy and used tar to transfer the rootfs from a temp
partition to the real root.  It would also be possible to have the rootfs
tar on floppies.

Michael

--
---