Subject: Re: help with A3000
To: Donn Cave <donn@u.washington.edu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 05/24/1994 15:02:32
On May 23,  9:56am, Donn Cave wrote:
> With May 22 sources the ordinary st driver was disabled and we were
> building st from the main tree, with less than satisfactory results - what
> was supposed to be mt status went out as something else, like a fsf or
> something (thank heavens not a weof!)  Kids don't try this at home.

  Nothing should have changed as far as the IOCTL calls from mt, since both
the old Amiga st driver and the new scsi one used the same definitions
(in sys/mtio.h).  However, the interpretation of the minor number has changed.

  The Amiga driver expects the tape device to be defined as follows:
	/dev/rst0	minor number = 0
	/dev/nrst0	minor number = 4

  The new st driver expects the following:
	/dev/rst0	minor number = 0
	/dev/nrst0	minor number = 1
If the existing /dev/nrst0 (minor number = 4) is used, the 4 is one of the
density bits, so it will still rewind the tape device.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu
Computer Consultant			BITNET:  OSYMH@MTSUNIX1.BITNET