Subject: Re: A3000 SCSI problems
To: Greg Oster <oster@skdad.usask.ca>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 05/17/1994 14:23:58
On Tue, 17 May 1994, Greg Oster wrote:

> In particular, if you have a configuration like:
>
> BSDR - root1
> BSDS - swap
> BSDH - root2
> BSDE - /usr
> BSDF - /home
>
> You now won't be able to swap root1 with root2 (i.e. rename the
> partitions under AmigaDOS to BSDH, BSDS, BSDR, ...)  to boot from an
> alternate root without a) putting root2 at the end of your drive and
> hacking /etc/fstab to flipflop amongst BSDE, BSDF, etc. and never
> really know where the heck anything is, or b) making BSDE the name of
> the second root partition.  Neither of these are very desirable
> options for me...

And since I have precisely this configuration, I am not happy with the
new partitioning scheme.  Rob Healy stated his opinion that root
partitions should be identified with boot priority.  Although this idea
has merit, I also like to be able to mount my backup root partition to
copy my primary root partition onto it.  How would I be able to do this
with two BSDR (or BS/? or UNI/1 or whatever) partitions distinguished
only by boot priority?

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
					..!{decwrl,mips,fernwood}!btr!eeh
	"Trust me, I am cognizant of what I am doing." - Hammeroid