Subject: Re: A3000 SCSI problems
To: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Greg Oster <oster@skdad.usask.ca>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 05/17/1994 11:28:47
Michael L. Hitch writes:
>   The DOS type fields in the RDB are handled a bit differently now.  'BSDR'
> still maps to partition 'a', and 'BSDS' maps to partition 'b'.  The other
> values ('BSD[DEFGH]') are mapped to a single partition type and
> assigned to the partitions in the order they appear in the RDB.
> Most people probably have their partitions set up as 'BSDR', 'BSDS',
> 'BSDD', 'BSDE'...  This setup should still work, but if the
> partitions are in a little different order, things won't map so
> good.  On one of my disks I have the partitions as 'BSDR', 'BSDH',
> 'BSDD', 'BSDE', 'BSDF', 'BSDG', 'BSDS' [the last partition was
> slightly larger than the second, so I exchanged them - they
> originally were in order].  This results in the 'BSDH' partition
> being assigned to 'd' and the 'BSDD' partition assigned to 'e'.  As
> a result, /etc/fstab is no longer correct.

Why is has this changed?  Does it make it easier to do something on
the NetBSD side?  I don't see any gain here, only discomfort...
In particular, if you have a configuration like:

BSDR - root1
BSDS - swap
BSDH - root2
BSDE - /usr
BSDF - /home

You now won't be able to swap root1 with root2 (i.e. rename the
partitions under AmigaDOS to BSDH, BSDS, BSDR, ...)  to boot from an
alternate root without a) putting root2 at the end of your drive and
hacking /etc/fstab to flipflop amongst BSDE, BSDF, etc. and never
really know where the heck anything is, or b) making BSDE the name of
the second root partition.  Neither of these are very desirable
options for me...

Just my $0.02.  Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why this change
is a good one...

Keep up the good work guys...

Later...

Greg Oster

oster@cs.usask.ca
Department of Computational Science
University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA