Subject: Re: A3000 SCSI problems
To: None <rhealey@aggregate.com>
From: None <mw@eunet.ch>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 05/17/1994 19:18:51
> 	Enter soapbox mode:

Yeah, got too soapy there, sorry for the harsh tone.

> 	I suppose it all depends on how you look at the partitioning
> 	pair-O-digm. Under the other Unixi they don't use unique identifiers
> 	to decide which goes where, it's simply their assigned in order of
> 	their appearance in the tables. Under this view the new scheme is
> 	consistant with other architectures and might simplify generic
> 	support for Amiga.

True aspect. I detailed my intentions behind the scheme in my last mail.

> 	To be consistant NetBSD probably should call it's partitions BSD\? or
> 	extend the Amix model and use UNI\?. UNI\1 is s5 format, UNI\2 is
> 	paging, UNI\3 is 4.2 UFS. UNI\4 could be new style UFS and UNI\5 could
> 	be the 4.4 log file system. Or we could say fork() Amix and use UNI\1
> 	as BSD UFS, UNI\2 as paging and UNI\3 as 4.4 log fs.

Well, nuke Amiga Unix use, if you want, it completely ignores dostypes..
(when I still had it up, I changed its filesystem dostypes to BSDx types,
and Amiga Unix didn't care a bit...).

> 	This would be more consistant than either then new or old NetBSD ways
> 	as it jibes with the precident in ADOS and AMIX. Actually, by using the
> 	Amix UNI\? values the 2.04 and above ROMs would grok them as UNIX
> 	partitions as the newer ROMS know about UNI\? stuff.

Yes, but besided getting a neater description of the type in HDToolBox, this
doesn't give you additional functionality, as newer ADos software doesn't
show you partitions with dostypes that don't match any loaded filesystems,
anyway.

> 	All comes back to what individuals feel should be the goal of NetBSD
> 	Amiga.

Yup, and that's the reason why I feel I'm not very helpful to those that want
a `compatible' NetBSD Amiga, so I'm taking some distance.

Hey, we still have just one BSD for the Amiga, PCs have 1, 2, 3, ...  :-))

-Markus
--
CHUUG/EUnet Switzerland				Markus Wild
Zweierstrasse 35	Tel: +41 1 291 45 80	mw@eunet.ch