Subject: Wrong Machine identification (was ser.c and ttnread)
To: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Arthur Hoffmann <hoffmann@it.ntu.edu.au>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 05/16/1994 12:57:07
> > Anyway when I boot the kernel it reports that I'm running on an Amiga
> > 500/2000,
> > then it tells me ztwobus0 at mainbus0
> > no suitable root.
> >
> > What went wrong now? I have an A3000.
>
>   Are you using the latest version of loadbsd (version 2.4)?  If so,
> what version of AmigaDOS are you running?  Loadbsd looks through the
> resident modules to find ones that are particular to a specific
> machine.  I don't know if it's been tested on the A3000 sucessfully.
> It looks like maybe loadbsd doesn't find what it expects for the A3000,
> so defaults to the A2000.  You may have to use the previous version
> of loadbsd in this case (2.0, I think).

I actually was running loadbsd version 2.4. The OS is Kickstart
version 37.175 and Workbench is 37.67.

I then used the old loadbsd2.0 and I got a little farther.

Now I commented out all the scsi drivers in my GENERIC file, except
ahsc0, also I suped the very latest 16.05.1994 stuff and did make
depend;  make again, now The kernel had a problem with sd.c (the
one in /usr/src/sys/scsi, not the one in /usr/src/sys/arch/amiga/dev)
loadbsd resulted in an undefined function
dk_establish
I found it in the /usr/src/sys/arch/amiga/gtsc.c file, so I just
copied it into the sd.c file and the compile worked.
The function only contains:

int
dk_establish()
{
        return(-1);
}

But when starting the sysem with the new kernel I got the following:

ahsc0 targ5 lun0 <Quantum LP105S 9101094053.1> SCSI2 direct fixed
sd5 at scsibus1: 100MB, 1211 cyl, 4 head, 42 sec, 512 bytes/sec
ahsc0 targ6 lun0 <Quantum LP240S GM240S01X6.4> SCSI2 direct fixed
sd5 at scsibus1: 234MB, 1818 cyl, 4 head, 65 sec, 512 bytes/sec
zthreebus0 at mainbus0

here the machine hangs with the HD light on steady. When I press a key
I get a panic with the PC at 0001A34E.

Is this related to the dk_establish function?
And why SCSI2? I thought A3000 are SCSI1. Just in case it matters my
SCSI chip is the A version rev 00-08.

Any Ideas?

Arthur.

__