Subject: Re: sys.19940513
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 05/13/1994 15:56:22
On May 13, 11:27pm, Olaf Seibert wrote:
> Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:
> > Last night I compiled the kernel from 13th may, and except for two
> > little things, it compiled flawlessly:
> >
> > 1.) There was an ')' missing quite at the end of .../sys/syslog.h
>
> I was compiling the 10 may sources, and fixed this too. Then I went on
> with the 11 may sources, and the weirdest thing happened: make depend
> caused my kernel to freeze!

  That sounds very much like the problem the original bash distributed on
the root file systems had with the 68040.  I'm assuming that you have gotten
the recompiled version that I uploaded to ftp.eunet.ch?

  However, I did run into a problem with the recompiled version when I
was trying to build lib/libc.  The command substitution (which is what caused
the original version of bash to hang on the 68040) ran into problems when
passed a very long command.  I found that bash had a fixed size string buffer
that was allocated on the stack.  The buffer was too small for the particular
instance I ran into while building lib/libc and overwrote the stack.  I've
recompiled it using a larger buffer and was able to get around that problem.

> Does this ring a bell for somebody? I hope it's not hardware
> related... (A4000/040, 2+8M ram, Supra Wordsync + Quantum LPS105)
> I'm getting a bit desperate over this situation...

  If you are using bash as the shell and want to try out the fixed one
I'm using, I have put it on ftp.coe.montana.edu in /tmp/NetBSD-bash.gz.
If you're not using bash, then I don't have any other ideas as to what's
happening.

Michael