Subject: Re: sys.19940513
To: None <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de, amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 05/13/1994 23:27:59
Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:
> Last night I compiled the kernel from 13th may, and except for two
> little things, it compiled flawlessly:
>
> 1.) There was an ')' missing quite at the end of .../sys/syslog.h

I was compiling the 10 may sources, and fixed this too. Then I went on
with the 11 may sources, and the weirdest thing happened: make depend
caused my kernel to freeze!

To be more specific, there is this line in Makefile:

depend: assym.s param.c
	mkdep ...

I have determined that I can make assym.s and param.c, but making
depend, even with -n, will cause the kernel to freeze before it gets to
print the command it wants to do. Doing stuff like
make -dA (all debugging info) shows nothing after it finishes with
param.c. I once managed to keep the ktrace.out file from make -n, (with
luck and by mounting /usr synchronous) which
ends after a vfork() call returns. Which is funny, because I wouldn't
expect a make -n to do vfork. Also, hitting ^T shows a few processes
besides make running (sh echo and printf), also with make -n.
(This also looks fishy especially since there is no output.)

The Makefile looks pretty normal to me, it was not the first time I
used a Makefile from config.new, all my binaries in /usr/bin were
identical to my installation tar files, (except that tar +diff reported
just about all modes to be different even though visual inspection
indicates they're not), the kernels I used were used pretty extensively
before, etc... "I didn't change anything!"

Version info: kernel self-compiled, supped 25 march, or 8 april
(identical behaviour), binaries 940219 (I put off upgrading until
versions after the off_t changes are available).

Does this ring a bell for somebody? I hope it's not hardware
related... (A4000/040, 2+8M ram, Supra Wordsync + Quantum LPS105)
I'm getting a bit desperate over this situation...

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                                 rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl
\X/ An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them.