Subject: Re: Problems w/ 940329 SUP kernel
To: None <dej@eecg.toronto.edu, rhealey@aggregate.com>
From: Stephen J. Roznowski <sjr@zombie.ncsc.mil>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 05/01/1994 22:30:52
> > A few problems with a kernel SUPed yesterday:
> >
> > - machdep.c makes a reference to arpintr, which is defined only if the
> >   ethernet pseudo-device is enabled.  I run SLIP, and no Ethernet, so...
> >   barf.
> >
> 	This bit the x86 people, you need some ifdefs in machdep.c, maybe
> 	Chris can muck with this the next time he's in machdep.c?

One workaround is to define "pseudo-device ether" in your kernel
configuration file.

> > - I get "panic: swfree()" when I try to boot the new kernel.
> >
> 	I saw this on a 12M 3000 but not on a 16M 3000, go figure...
>
> 	One VERY disturbing addition to this:
>
> 	fsck TRASHES filesystems when built under the 0429 sup code! I
> 	installed the new includes, remade the librarys and then made all.

I noticed this after doing a complete build. :-( It doesn't appear that
this is fixed in the May 1 sources (nothing that fsck uses was supped
between the 29th and the 1st).

> 	fsck keeps finding truncated inodes where there are none! Worse
> 	yet, the old fsck won't run under the 0429 kernel, I think cdg removed
> 	backward compatability starting with the 0429 sup. B^(.

I wonder if removing the COMPAT_09 option from the kernel would help?

[All I can say is that bffs has been a life saver all day! :-]

-SR