Subject: Re: Color X
To: Chris Hopps <chopps@emunix.emich.edu>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 04/20/1994 15:14:02
On Apr 19,  9:16am, Chris Hopps wrote:
> Subject: Re: Color X
> > ----------- snip ------- snap -------
> >   if (gp->g_display.gd_colors == 2)
> >     printf("monochrome");
> >   else
> >     printf("%d color", gp->g_display.gd_colors);
>
> Is correct.

 This is the original code.

> > ----------- snip ------- snap -------
> >
> >  switch(gp->g_display.gd_colors)
> >  {
> >   case 0:
> >    printf("disabled");
> >    break;
> >   case 1:
> >    printf("hm, monocolor");
> >    break;
> >   case 2:
> >    printf("monochrome");
> >    break;
> >   default:
> >    printf("%d color", gp->g_display.gd_colors);
> >  }
>
> I haven't been in the code recently but why would the driver get this far
> if it isn't going to provide at least 2 colors?

 When init_something()  (ie. init_rt()) fails, it will fallback to
ECS. And if it fails to report the size (non-initialized) and depth,
we should consider to report the card/display as 'disabled' at least.

 My current Picasso-grf-driver doesn't initialize anything yet and thus
should be considered as disabled.

 And if gp->g_display.gd_colors == 2 (as in original code) we don't have
a monochrome display, but a 4 color display.

 This no flame, just discussion, ok? :)

--
Markus Illenseer