Subject: Bug in swap?
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Arthur Hoffmann <hoffmann@it.ntu.edu.au>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 04/20/1994 21:15:53
Hi
I recently asked about if it was possible to get space back from /tmp,
so that it could be used by vm again.
Thanks for all the information I got :)
Well I was told it was not possible, so what I did I simply split my
32M partition which was used by mfs (and swap) into 2 partitions. I
wanted to make sure that swap and /tmp work independently.
I put he following lines into my /etc/fstat file:

/dev/sd6b       none    swap    sw      0       0
/dev/sd6g       /tmp    mfs     rw      0       0

1 partition pureley for swap and one pureley for /tmp.

Also I changed my kernel configuration file in
/usr/src/sys/arch/amiga/conf/MYCONF to work with this setup.
The relevant lines look like this:

#options		GENERIC
config		netbsd root on sd6a swap on sd6b
#config		netbsd swap generic

Then I did config MYCONF; cd ../compile/MYCONF; make depend; make.

After the reboot I checked my system, df showed that /tmp was mounted
and had the correct amount of memory, Also swapinfo showed that the
swap partition was correctly configured.

Now comes the problem:
======================

When I copied a large file to /tmp my swap space got less!!!
I copied a ~7M file to /tmp, df showed /tmp space was reduced by that
amount, but swapinfo showed that it was reduced as well!!
The swapspace was reduced by ~ twice as much as the file size.

Any Ideas?

Arthur.

__
Arthur Hoffmann					58/1 Dickward Drive