Subject: Re: Binary releases and 64 bit off_t
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 04/12/1994 11:58:48
On Apr 12,  4:42am, Ty Sarna wrote:
> Also note that *nobody* is going to be distributing NetBSD or any other
> Net/2 derived system until the USL-tainted stuff gets replaced with
> 4.4-Lite.  (this IS an issue, too.  Don't believe for a second that USL
> will be understanding about this...  They are actively contacting various
> Net/2 distributers right now and demanding that they cease and desist...
> I know Walnut Creek was contacted about their FreeBSD CDROM, as was some
> company selling a disc with NetBSD 0/9/i386 on it).  We're actually lucky
> they haven't (yet?) bitched about the *BSD -currents being availible.
> See comp.unix.bsd for detail...  basicly all the *BSDs are on thin ice
> until they can replace the USL code with 4.4-Lite's stuff.

 That is an important matter, thanks for bringing this up again. There
are some stoneheads in Germany not accepting the fact that NetBSD makes
only sense if you have FTP-access (or a friend with access...) and can
chance/update regulary, and that it currently doesn't make sense to
distribute NetBSD on a CD-ROM (however this is done - archived or
unarchived...). The law-issue is one of the things i haven't thought off
yet :-).

> > or "Hey Fred, here's 10 disks for a special NetBSD-Amiga distribution for
> > ya!", and this is a stage that I really really want to see happen.
>
> Couldn't happen now even if it was stable, thanks to USL. I'm sure Fred
> doesn't have deep enough pockets to want to risk attracting attention
> from USL's lawyers. (and I think 10 disks is underestimating the size of
> even a minimal distribution ;->)

 Fred is very interested into distributing NetBSD-Amiga on one of
his CD-ROMs - and he is aware of the law-suit problem and the libcrypt
things.

[...]
> Hey, I'm 50% a low-midend user too :-) One of the two systems I run
> NetBSD on is a 2500/20, which AFAIK is the slowest Amiga that can run
> NetBSD (it does have an FPU, though).  Besides, I don't even have one of
> them thar super-fast 40MHz '040 systems like you do ;-)

 The low-end NetBSD-Amiga i know of is an A500 with 020-PACK68 enhancement,
SCSI-Adaptor, and 4MB RAM.

--
Markus Illenseer