Subject: Re: Latest kernel
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Brad Pepers <pepersb@cuug.ab.ca>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 04/11/1994 16:14:39
> 	At the risk of sounding snotty, the floppy driver wasn't done
> 	strictly by the formal book. Technically the driver should have
> 	two parts, one the floppy controller (PROD_BUILTIN_FLOPPY) and
> 	two the per drive code (PROD_BUILTIN_FLOP). The
> 	distinction is subtle... Look at the way a SCSI disk or tape
> 	is actually configured and you'll see what I'm taking about.

Yes you are certainly right. When I first started writing the driver I
had no idea how NetBSD did such things. I could probably change it now
that I understand NetBSD internals better but I have no time!

> 	After much fiddling I still can't get the driver to actually work
> 	and after comparing the NetBSD and AMIX floppy driver source I get the
> 	feeling the NetBSD floppy driver is a first cut and not the polished
> 	end product.

It is not polished. I was waiting to polish it off but never had a chance.
I decided to make it available anyways in the hopes that others could
clean it up. It did work fine on my system with an old kernel so it
shouldn't take to long to get it working in the current kernel. My thanks
to Chris for doing this for me!

> 	It's a GREAT first cut! At least someone gave us a base from which
> 	to start! THANKS! Whomever you are. With that said, it still doesn't
> 	support HD floppy drives or MSDOS format drives. It also isn't in
> 	the normal controller/slave model of the NetBSD kernel. Plenty of
> 	things for some of us to contribute our efforts to!

Thanks! I hope it starts working for everyone soon!

> 		-Rob

| "Psst. Hey Guido. It's all so clear to me now. I'm the keeper of the   |
| cheese. And you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it. That's |
| why he's gonna kill us. So we gotta beat it. Yeah. Before he lets      |
| loose the marmosets on us! Don't worry, little missy! I'll save you!"  |
+------------------ Brad Pepers -- pepersb@cuug.ab.ca -------------------+