Subject: Re: Latest kernel
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
From: Dale Rahn <drahn@pacific.urbana.mcd.mot.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 04/11/1994 16:49:19

> On Apr 10,  9:23pm, Chris Hopps wrote:
> > that have room on their HD's to compile a new X environment.  Unfortunately
> > I am not one of those people otherwise I would have uploaded new libs and
> > clients long ago.
>
>  Same here, i am seeking for a sponsor for either new harddrive or
> CD-ROM to be able to compile new X11 binary set :-)
>
>  Let's see what i can do, isn't it possible to cross-compile stuff and
> even link on other machines? Or do i miss something?

Like what host???

A few weeks ago I attempted to compile NetBSD-Amiga binaries
on NetBSD-i386 but ran into some problems with the "half done"
support on some of utilities. (ld)

I managed to get gcc/gas/ld all compiled to produce NetBSD-amiga
objects but ran into a problem with other necessary utilities
to build the entire system. (nm, lorder, ar)

I looked at these other programs and saw that they too could be fixed
to recognise other byte order architectures but didn't have time.

I could make availiable the changes I made and the "hacky" environment
I was attempting to build stuff in.

I do not claim that everything was working correctly however,
My executables did not run on my 720 kernel system (yes very old)
and the kernel I built wouldn't do anything never initialized the
screen or printed anything on it.
Dale Rahn, Languages and Tools                  drahn@urbana.mcd.mot.com
Motorola, MCG, Urbana Design Center
1101 E. University Ave, Urbana, IL 61801		  (217) 384-8585