Subject: Re: Floppy driver (was: Re: This week's NetBSD/amiga changes)
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 04/11/1994 13:31:32
tsarna@endicor.com (Ty Sarna)
> Hmmm... looking through the Hardware RKM, I can't ind an ID defined for
> the 5.25" drives, unless it's one of the Reserved values. I guess when I
> update to the current sources I'll have to see what it ID's as, if
> anything. If it doesn't ID itself, there will have to be some way for a
> user program to tell the driver that a drive is present and tell it the
> various parameters.

There is one defined, I'm sure. Except that the drive id actually
means '40 tracks' instead of '135 mm'. The id that says '90 mm'
actually means '80 tracks'. Not all external drives seem to get this
entirely right, though. One gotcha is that drives that can switch
between 40 and 80 track modes only can be switched before a (re)boot
of AmigaOS; at least on older versions of AmigaOS. (Newer versions
with high-density support query the type on each disk change, and
judging from the drive activity light more often as well)

To find the 40-track id, look in the Amiga include files; I'm pretty
sure it sits next to the 80-track id.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                                 rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl
\X/ An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them.