Subject: Re: Latest kernel
To: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 04/10/1994 22:35:07
On Sun, 10 Apr 1994, David Jones wrote:

> OK, let's see if I got this straight..

> 2. Should there be a floppy driver in what I'm sup'ing?  (Hopefully, the
> 	latest, if not greatest, sources.)

It's in there all right.  I'm just waiting for a config file with it
enabled so I can test it out.

> 3. How badly will the 64-bit off_t's break me?  Can I run a 64 bit kernel
> 	using 32-bit binaries?  Meaning, make damn sure the kernel works before
> 	upgrading binaries cuz you can't run 64 bit binaries on a 32 bit kernel.
> 	Is it true that NONE of the X stuff will work on a 64 bit kernel?  What
> 	else won't work?  If the 32 bit binaries won't work, then how am I
> 	supposed to upgrade (other than new rootfs with tar/gzip on it).

off_t is not a problem as long as you:

1) Keep your old 32 bit off_t libraries around

2) Don't upgrade your /usr/includes until you get 64 bit off_t libraries.

> 4. What's the status on non-buggy, VM-efficient 4/16 color X servers for
> 	ECS?

Be patient.  I have the blitter drawing lines just fine.  Area blits are
still a bit of a problem.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
					..!{decwrl,mips,fernwood}!btr!eeh
	"Trust me, I am cognizant of what I am doing." - Hammeroid