Subject: Re: problems with: kernels Floppys scsi binaries ...
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 04/10/1994 14:35:33
On Apr 10,  5:44pm, Arthur Hoffmann wrote:
> Also there is a problem with the floppy:
>
> when I do a newfs /dev/rfd0 I get the following:
>
> root@atze(2)$ newfs /dev/rfd0
> /dev/rfd0:      1760 sectors in 80 cylinders of 2 tracks, 11 sectors
>         0.9MB in 5 cyl groups (16 c/g, 0.18MB/g, 64 i/g)
> super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:
>  32, 400, 736, 1104, 1440,
> newfs: ioctl (WDINFO): Invalid argument
> newfs: /dev/rfd0: can't rewrite disk label

  The WDINFO error is because the fd driver doesn't write the disk label
yet.

> The disk can still be mounted and I can write to it and read from it.
> (I haven't verified if the info I write to it is valid, I'll do that
> later)

  I seem to be able to read from the floppy if it was formatted with
AmigaDOS, but I'm having trouble writing to it (with newfs).

> after unmounting and remounting the disk I got a mmufault and the
> system died on me :(
>
> The system can distinguish on startup between HD and DD floppies, but
> when doing a newfs it treats them all as DD.

  When the driver builds the disk label in the fdioctl routine, it sets
the sector count to 11 and ignores the density.  It looks like the fd
data structure contains the number of sectors and should be used to
set the disk label sector count.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu