Subject: possible bug
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: None <newsham@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 04/04/1994 13:07:01
Hi,
  I just encountered some pretty strange behaviour.  I was copying
files over from my /usr onto a new partition to make a bigger /usr
partition.  The new partition had a single directory named 'local'.
The old partition had a symbolic link 'local' pointing to the
new partition.  I then did a 'cp -R * /mnt' from the old /usr partition
where 'mnt' was my new partition.  The symlink 'local' over-wrote
my old directory local (to my suprise).  When I rebooted the machine
and fsck ran through it barfed on my new /usr partition.  I had
to run fsck through manually to fix the problem.  The old 'local'
directory appeared in the lost+found directory.  It appears that
the symlink replaced the old entry in the directory without touching
the old inode or directory.  I dont have any "trash" partitions to
try to repeat this problem on and haven't looked through the filesystem
sources yet.

                                      Tim N.