Subject: Re: Binary releases and 64 bit off_t
To: None <mw@eunet.ch>
From: Chris Hopps <chopps@emunix.emich.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 04/04/1994 17:15:55

> > as an option, this is fine, as a default, i don't think that would be a good
> > idea.  growing the kernel size, plus making it slower, is not that good of a
> > "benefit".  since a lot of the machines that we want to eventually support do
> make 64bit an option, and i'm all for it. default should be no 64bit, agreed.

we cannot make sizeof(off_t) an option.  What a headache helping users that
would be, not to mention what the kernel would look like when you finished
adding support for conditionally different sized paramter lists for syscalls.

Anyway, I don't feel 100% good about the switch however it also just doesn't
have this big impact that you guys are implying.

Regardless NetBSD amiga will continue to remain compatible with all the other
ports so if you want this changed you should take it up in one of the more
generic NetBSD groups.

BTW

You know alot of amiga developers *2* years ago were working with C= on ideas
on how to allow file offsets >2M.  They felt is was worthwhile for amiga's.
Feel lucky its much easier for us to make the change.

(People like Randal Jesup and other Amiga personnel and developers like
Joanne Dow.)

In the end its a smart change, don't ever let yourself forget the 640k
barrier. :^)

> -Markus

Chris.