Subject: Re: GDB and MFS
To: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
From: Andy Heffernan <ahh@netcom.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/24/1994 16:48:52

> OK, I got a new kernel and installed the new binaries (940319).  A few
> observations:
>
> - I still cannot mount mfs (can't read disklabel).  This worked in 744
>   and below.  Was a hack to get a BSD-style disklabel from an RDB image
>   broken somehow?

If you're sure that you have a new /sbin/mount_mfs, I don't know
what the problem could be.

> - vi is horribly slow.  It takes about 1/2 second to respond to anything
>   that requires screen scrolling.  I'm not sure if it's vi, or an
>   inefficiency in the ITE handling.  Also, I noticed this after I ran
>   the view-based X server.  Will do more experiments tonight.

I think this is because this is a new implementation of vi (that is,
it's not elvis anymore).  I use ^E a lot and have noticed the terribly
line-by-line scrolling performance.  Also, paging backward and forward
can leave the cursor in the wrong spot.  One of these days I'll look
at the source.

> - Does _anybody_ have a version of GDB that works with the >= 744 proc
>   structure size?

I have been using the gdb that's in /usr/bin with great success.