Subject: Color X and new kernel
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/22/1994 21:35:37
OK, I tried the 940319 kernel, and it actually boots.  However, mfs doesn't
like my swap space: it complains that it can't read the disklabel.  Up to now,
I've been able to use mfs no problem.

xbsdcc4 gives a 4-color display; xbsdcc2 gives a 16-color display.  This just
confirms what other users have reported.  I also get the trashing on the 16-
color display.

How much memory does a color X server use?  I have 8M of core, and 16 colors
crawls.  Literally: the borders of fvwm redraw at about 1 cm/sec.  In
contrast, character display in an xterm under Xbsd is faster than the ITE
console.

Any chance of the servers using less core?

--
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
email: dej@eecg.utoronto.ca, finger for more info/PGP public key