Subject: Color X and new kernel
To: None <>
From: David Jones <>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/22/1994 21:35:37
OK, I tried the 940319 kernel, and it actually boots.  However, mfs doesn't
like my swap space: it complains that it can't read the disklabel.  Up to now,
I've been able to use mfs no problem.

xbsdcc4 gives a 4-color display; xbsdcc2 gives a 16-color display.  This just
confirms what other users have reported.  I also get the trashing on the 16-
color display.

How much memory does a color X server use?  I have 8M of core, and 16 colors
crawls.  Literally: the borders of fvwm redraw at about 1 cm/sec.  In
contrast, character display in an xterm under Xbsd is faster than the ITE

Any chance of the servers using less core?

David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
email:, finger for more info/PGP public key