Subject: Re: pages.
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: None <chammer@HRZ.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/20/1994 12:54:31
> 	I think the I/O hit from a 4k page size will be minimal if you
>
> 	Begin soapbox speech:
>
> 	So, let's get to the REAL reason you don't want a 4k page size:
>
> 	It would mess up SunOS emulation!
>
> 	To this I say:
>
> 	This is NetBSD, NOT SunOS DAMNIT! Why should we braindamage NetBSD
> 	for a dead OS like m68k SunOS? I see no good reason for it. The only
> 	reason I can think of is commercial applications, everything else
> 	can be recompiled, and all the commercial vendors I've called have
> 	basically laughed in my face when I asked for a Sun3 version of
> 	WP, 123, database and a few other commercial packages I had to check
> 	in to for Solaris migration at work. If you can get ahold of Sun 3
> 	binarys more power to you but, at least in the US, it's a losing
> 	battle.
>
> 	How many people actually use Sun3 binarys on their Amiga's now that
> 	most of the freely available software can be recompiled without a
> 	lick of SunOS support in the kernel?

imho:I dont know but I use. The student version of a Computer Algebra program
called "Reduce". You can recompile it if you buy the full version. But
this costs more i can pay. I dont think there will be any vendors that
supports 68k plattforms before their death in perhaps two or three years.
Even mac users will go to powerpc and so there will be no base for commercial
software at all...

perhaps if someone makes a powerpcboard for the localbus..

ciao
Carsten

--
Carsten Hammer  Schwindstr. 7 33615 Bielefeld
Fakultaet fuer Physik          D4-139