Subject: Re: pages.
To: None <bslawson@phobos.astro.uwo.ca>
From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/17/1994 13:09:46
> Hmmm...  So thats why my 8meg machine starts seriously pageing when
> vmstat gives avm ~3600k?  That megabyte is too precious to waste---
> I gave up on X11 because it pages too much.  Going to 4k sounds good
> too.  How much would this change increase the time spent servicing
> page-faults?  Probably not significant compared to the gains from
> better utilization of physical memory.

Another interesting point: static binaries will be a bit smaller since
they don't have to zero-fill as much between the text and data segments.

Holes less than a page in length, but greater than the fundamental block
size (512 bytes) are not optimized in the UFS, according to the demon book.

--
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
email: dej@eecg.utoronto.ca, finger for more info/PGP public key