Subject: Re: pages.
To: None <>
From: David Jones <>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/17/1994 13:09:46
> Hmmm...  So thats why my 8meg machine starts seriously pageing when
> vmstat gives avm ~3600k?  That megabyte is too precious to waste---
> I gave up on X11 because it pages too much.  Going to 4k sounds good
> too.  How much would this change increase the time spent servicing
> page-faults?  Probably not significant compared to the gains from
> better utilization of physical memory.

Another interesting point: static binaries will be a bit smaller since
they don't have to zero-fill as much between the text and data segments.

Holes less than a page in length, but greater than the fundamental block
size (512 bytes) are not optimized in the UFS, according to the demon book.

David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
email:, finger for more info/PGP public key