Subject: Re: pages.
To: None <chopps@emunix.emich.edu>
From: Bob Slawson <bslawson@phobos.astro.uwo.ca>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/17/1994 11:12:42

> Now back to the pmap, if everything goes well the rewrite I am
> preparing will return basically one *Megabyte* of physical ram
> previously unavailable at boot time.  I am not kidding it was gone and
> never used.  The new pmap will basically provide the same
> functionality using about 30-70k.  I may also attach the 4k page as
> luggage if I am convinced it is the better route.
>
> Comments?

Hmmm...  So thats why my 8meg machine starts seriously pageing when
vmstat gives avm ~3600k?  That megabyte is too precious to waste---
I gave up on X11 because it pages too much.  Going to 4k sounds good
too.  How much would this change increase the time spent servicing
page-faults?  Probably not significant compared to the gains from
better utilization of physical memory.